Daniel J. Gross
Dec. 2013 – present Herald-Journal (Halifax Media Group) Spartanburg, S.C.
- Report on crime and public safety issues in coverage area for 40,000-circulation daily
- Cover breaking news, enterprise, in-depth, feature, investigation, trends
- 3rd Place award in S.C. Press Association for Spot News
- 2nd Place award in S.C. Press Association for Series of Articles
- Write feature articles for Spartanburg Magazine, published five times annually
- Shoot photos and video, utilize social media for stories and digital content
- Maintain “Gross on Patrol” crime blog on GoUpstate.com
May 2013 – Dec. 2013 The Frederick News-Post (Randall Family, LLC) Frederick, Md.
- Reported on crime and public safety issues for 30,000-circulation daily
- Published enterprise, in-depth and database reporting projects
- 1st Place award in MDDC Press Association for General News Story
- 1st Place award in MDDC Press Association for Religion Reporting
- Used social media to engage community, enhance reporting
Aug. 2011 – May 2013 The Gazette (The Washington Post Company) Laurel, Md.
Crime and Courts Reporter
- Covered crime, courts and public safety issues for 150,000-circulation weekly
- Covered general assignment in suburban Maryland municipalities surrounding Washington, D.C.
- Regularly wrote articles for The Washington Post‘s Metro and Local Living sections
- Guest interview on Baltimore’s NPR affiliate station for collegiate murder-suicide coverage
- Shot photos and videos, used social media for reporting and engaging
- 1st Place MDDC Press Association Award for General News Story
June 2011 – Aug. 2011 The Advocate of Carroll County (Landmark Communications) Westminster, Md.
- Covered general assignment, features and enterprise | shot photos for assignments
- Wrote daily news briefs for 20,000-circulation daily, Carroll County Times
Aug. 2007 – May 2011 The Towerlight (Baltimore Student Media, Inc.) Towson, Md.
Editor-in-Chief/Previous News Editor /Previous Staff Writer
- Edited stories, updated website, used social media profiles for 10,000-circulation twice-weekly
- Published breaking news, front page stories, weekly editorial and managed pagination
- Managed staff of 20-25 reporters and editors, conceptualized content, shot photos and video
2010 WBAL Radio (All news radio station to NBC-affiliate WBAL-TV11) Baltimore, Md.
- Wrote stories for web and radio scripts, interviewed for on-air packages, edited clips, shot photos/video
2009 b free daily (Free daily publication of The Baltimore Sun) Baltimore, Md.
- Wrote front page feature stores, generated content, compiled news packages for web and print
2006-2008 TheBayNet.com (Bay Media Services, Inc.) California, Md.
Multimedia Reporter/Web Developer
- Covered breaking news, general assignment | shot photos, videos | engaged community
2006-2006 The Enterprise (Southern Maryland Newspapers) California, Md.
Community News Intern/Independent Study
- Published five feature articles for twice-weekly community newspaper while in high school
- Won 2nd Place MDDC Press Association Award for Best Headline
- (2013) 1st Place award in MDDC Press Association for General News Story “War on Heroin”
- (2013) 1st Place award in MDDC Press Association for Religion Reporting “Path to Priesthood”
- (2012) 1st Place award in MDDC Press Association for General News Story “Living Among Sex Offenders”
- (2007) 2nd Place award in MDDC Press Association for Best Headline “Hip to be Square”
- (2007) Lorraine Mayers Towerlight Scholarship Endowment Fund recipient
- Towson University, 2011
- S. in Mass Communication – Journalism and New Media
- Certificate in Broadcast Journalism
- Adobe CS, video editing, basic html, CMS, digital photography, social media, pagination, court records, 10-codes, FOIA, SEO
- (2011) Patch.com contributor, freelance reporter – built online community directory for Towson Patch site launch, wrote general assignment articles, shot photos
- (2009) National Residence Hall Honorary member – top 1 percent of residence hall leaders at Towson University
- (2009) Towson University Leadershape Institute graduate